Home Remedies For Allergies Straight From Your Kitchen
The term 'allergy' was coined by Austrian pediatrician, Clemens Pirquet and used for the first time in 1905. It refers to a hypersensitive disorder of the immune system. In other words, the allergic person's immune system reacts exaggeratedly when his or her body comes in to contact with certain foreign substances that are otherwise harmless for others. The substances which cause allergic reaction are called allergens. Dust mite, molds, smoke, pollen, dander, food, certain cosmetics, change in temperatures, soap or detergents, certain drugs, metals, insect bites, viruses etc are some examples of allergens.
Even strong emotions like fear and anxiety, stress and over-exercise can expedite allergic reactions. Contact with allergens causes the immune system to get activated and this result in over-production of allergy antibodies (IgE) in the person's body. These antibodies finally trigger allergic reactions. A person can become allergic at any age. Skin, eyes, nose, lungs, stomach are highly prone to allergic reaction. Wheezing, coughing, sneezing, running nose, breathing trouble, itchy eyes, watery eyes, itchy skin, small blisters, rashes, redness, swelling of skin, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, diarrhea etc are some general symptoms of allergy. Allergy often runs in the family.
Home Remedies for Allergies
1. Grind 1 tablespoon poppy seeds, mix 1 teaspoon lime juice and 1 teaspoon water. Apply the mixture on skin to get relief from skin allergies.
2. Mashed papaya seeds may be applied on skin to get cured of skin allergy.
3. Blend lemon juice with coconut oil and apply on skin. This is an effective home remedy for skin allergy.
4. Application of Aloe Vera gel soothes skin allergy.
5. Mix sandalwood powder and lime juice to make a paste. Apply on allergic skin eruptions to enable fast healing.
6. Sipping from a cup of green tea twice daily is a good way to combat allergic cold.
7. Gargle with diluted apple cider vinegar to get relief from allergic cold.
8. Put few drops of castor oil in a glass of water and drink in empty stomach to check allergic cold symptoms.
9. In a glass of warm water, put one and half teaspoons of powdered cinnamon, a pinch of pepper, few drops of honey. Stir well and drink. This is an effective home remedy for allergic sore throat.
10. Prepare a decoction with holy basil leaves and drink to get cured of allergic sore throat.
11. Put 4 drops of rose water in to both eyes and shut your eyes for 5 minutes. Do these three times a day. It heals eye allergy.
12. Consume 1 tablespoon of the mixture of Indian gooseberry powder and honey at bedtime. This relieves eye allergy.
13. Mix grapefruit juice and water and inhale from it. This is a useful nasal allergy remedy.
14. Drink nettle tea twice daily. This checks allergic sneezing.
15. Put half teaspoon turmeric powder in half glass milk. Stir and drink in empty stomach. This will relieve allergic bronchitis.
16. Mix half teaspoon each of powdered ginger, powdered clove and pepper powder. Lick the mixture with honey thrice daily. This cures allergic bronchitis.
17. An infusion prepared from Angelica leaves is very helpful in treating all sorts of respiratory allergies.
18. Blend carrot juice and beet juice to make a glassful and drink daily. This is an effective home remedy for stomach allergies.
19. Consumption of almonds also successfully treats stomach allergies.